We had this soup for dinner earlier this week and it was so perfect for the cold and blustery nights we’ve been having lately. Bonus was that it took only 20 minutes to make since I already had the meatballs cooked! (We always have a bag of uncooked meatballs in our freezer that literally take 15 minutes to bake– they are a lifesaver to have on hand!)
I hope you enjoy it as much as we did! One of the things we really focus on in my Challenge Groups are sharing healthy, easy, and delicious recipes. If you’re interested in joining and getting some extra help and support with your nutrition and fitness, fill out the form at the bottom of the page for more information!
Fixate Cookbook Italian Wedding Soup
for the 21 Day Fix, 21 Day Fix Extreme, and Hammer and Chisel programs this is 2 Greens and 1 Red per serving
1 tsp. Olive Oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
6 cups low-sodium organic chicken broth
1 bunch greens (like escarole, spinach, or Swiss chard– I used kale), trimmed, torn into bite-sized pieces (about 6 lightly packed cups)
20 Italian Meatballs (recipe, pg. 153 Fixate Cook Book) that are pre-baked.
2 large eggs
2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan pink salt)
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1 fresh lemon, cut into wedges
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 6 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
- Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
- Add broth. Bring to a boil.
- Add greens. Reduce heat to low; gently boil, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Add meatballs; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Combine eggs, and cheese in a small bowl; mix with a fork to blend.
- Slowly pour egg mixture into the hot soup, stirring constantly. Gently boil, covered, until egg bits are just set, about 30 seconds.
- Season with salt and pepper; serve immediately with lemon wedges.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION (per serving) Calories 215
Total Fat: 11 g Saturated Fat: 3 g Cholesterol: 134 mg Sodium: 493 mg Carbohydrates: 9 g Fiber: 2 g Sugars: 2 g Protein: 22 g