“Don’t read your life, write your life. Be intentional. Everyone has a story, so is yours the story you want to live?”
Personal development is something that has completely impacted every aspect of my life the past six months. We all have such limited amounts of time during the day, and I decided that if I wanted to really grow, I might have to give up the Gilmore Girls marathon and invest that time elsewhere. I decided to become very intentional with where I was spending my time and energy and being proactive in growing in leadership and knowledge. We hear so many negative voices through out the day (sometimes even our own), horrible events going on in the world, or maybe just are lacking motivation. It’s amazing the impact taking even ten minutes out of your day to sit and read or listen to a podcast can do! This time for me is separate from my devotions– it’s a time to dive into some lessons on leadership, motivation, or education.
Here are a couple things that I have found really helpful in actually getting this time in:
- Make it a priority– schedule it into your phone, write a sticky not, actually plan time to do it, even if it’s just 10 minutes.
- Make it a habit. Like the quote above, it’s consistency over time that compounds into greater and greater things.
- Find what speaks for you– I have narrowed my personal development in this season down to two aspects that are important to me which are leadership development (because it’s a passion of mine) and growing in my sales and development knowledge (since that directly impacts both my full-time job and coaching job)
- Find what works for you– currently for me, it’s podcasts while I work out — it makes time go WAY faster and honestly is so inspiring! and if I have time reading for 20 minutes on a weekend. It doesn’t have to be long and time-consuming.
- Be willing to sacrifice pleasure for opportunity– I am not watching all the shows on Netflix– any free time I have after time with my family is spent investing in growth.
- Put legs to the thoughts. I write notes to myself almost every time I listen or read personal development– there are great motivations, ideas, and practical advice you can take away. If you just store everything in your head, but don’t actually do something about what you’re learning, it’s really worthless.
A few of the resources that I’ve really loved and have read or listened to recently:
- Podcasts: The Chalean Show (overall fun inspiration, Build Your Tribe (for entrepreneurs), the Beachbody National Wake Up Call (Beachbody development), The School of Greatness (inspirational motivation from leaders in almost every industry and field)
- Sales/Motivation: The Compound Effect (the go-to for learning consistent principles to change everything), Go Pro (the go-to for marketing), You’re a Bad Ass (Excuse the title, but a fun read about overcoming doubts).
- Ideas: Made to Stick and Switch are both great and fun reads that focus on why ideas stick and how to change
- Leadership: really any book by John Maxwell (he has so many good ones), Strengths Finder (learning to lead from your innate giftings and strengths, and learning how to work with others’).
Do you have personal development you’ve loved? I’d love to hear what you use!